The Bernat Mystery Afghan Crochet-Along is a hit across the web, but it has also grabbed the attention of many members of the Bernat Design Studio. We’ll check in weekly and let you know our progress as we Crochet-Along.
Kristin – Bernat Blogger
Always the rebel, I decided to use a different yarn than the pattern called for. If you want to change things up a bit, feel free! As long as you watch for gauge you should be able to mix things up without any problems. Because Bernat Alpaca Natural Blends is the same weight and crochets up to be the same gauge as Bernat Softee Chunky, I decided that I would give it a try! I chose the colors Tomato, Plum, Fern, Peony and Lavender. How appropriate that they remind me of an English garden when they’re all together.
I can only imagine how this is going to look when it is crocheted into the Mystery Afghan. I am planning on crocheting this for a Christmas present for my youngest daughter, but I’m not entirely sure that she will get to keep it. I am deeply in love and have not even begun to crochet it together! This yarn is simply luscious!
I have really been enjoying working on the blocks for mystery clue #1. They were quick and easy to do, and when all was said and done, the blocks wound up with a beautiful finished texture. I am excited to see what the next clues have in store, and how the different motifs will coordinate with one another. It is like opening a big present one bit at a time. I can’t wait to see it all put together in the finished project.
Jen – Web Team
I’m so excited for this project! I have made a couple of small changes to my project – i’m using the same shade for A and E – which means the afghan will be mostly one color (Linen), and I’m using bright pops of color for my accents. Clue 1 was a big challenge for me. I’m a beginner who can only do granny squares. My first attempt at my sc/dc square was not a square _at all_. After sitting down with some tutorials and the help of a few friends, I realized that I was missing the dc at the end of each row, AND, i was missing a dc at the beginning of each row. for now, I have learned to count my stitches after every row, though i’m getting the hang of this.
Here are my first squares!