After knitting through some larger projects from the Bernat Baby Gifts book, I thought I would give the Cable Booties a try. I’ve knit a few pairs of socks and figured booties would be just as easy. And they were, until I got to the instep. I had the wrong number of stitches on my needles so I started decreasing on one side but not the other, leaving a decidedly lopsided foot. Once I placed the stitches on four separate needles, took a little break, and came back and re-read the instructions, things worked out much better. I arranged stitches so that needle 1 had 17, needle 2 (instep) had 11 and needle 3 had 8.
Knitting rows 2-11 went smoothly and I ended up with the correct number of stitches – in the correct order – at the end.
Here is one nearly finished, as modeled by my daughter’s teddy bear.