I showed you the swatch for the substitute stitch pattern I chose for the sides and back of the Crochet Vest (single crochet, double crochet, repeat). Big surprise, I also decided to change the stitch pattern for the front of the vest. The picture in the pattern book shows front post and back post double crochets worked up and down the vertical fronts of the vest. I’ve done tons of projects with post stitches – specifically with worsted weight yarns – and those stitches are thick. I do like the vertical effect these post stitches create, but I considered the silhouette this would give and opted to try a flatter yet still interesting stitch pattern. I wanted to try something easy-ish that most garment crocheters would have encountered at least once so it wouldn’t be too difficult to describe.
Shells to the rescue! I followed the pattern instructions for the front of the vest to chain the specified amount and then single crochet down the left front edge. On the return row, instead of using the post stitch instructions, I started on an easy shell pattern (single crochet, skip 2 stitches, 5 double crochet in next stitch, skip 2, repeat to end of row).
This is turning out quite lovely. It is a different look – perhaps more romantic or 70′s-ish – than the original. The measurements are dead on with the pattern schematic and all it took was a hook change to a K hook to match the gauge of my chosen stitches to the same exact stitch count in the pattern book.
I’m not going to make any other changes to this pattern. I will follow the pattern construction precisely and complete the right front side, the back, and then seam all the pieces together. Stay tuned for further progress.