Yeah, you read that right. Unfortunately I thought I was being all smart and thorough, but I essentially ignored the swatch–or at least part of the swatch (Hey, if it can happen to my knitting heroes, then surely it can happen to a mere mortal such as myself).
See my swatch above? Just for kicks, I tried a simple two-colour pattern with the grey and grape to get a “feel” for the fair isle. Sure enough my gauge was spot on at that point, even with 6mm needles. However, since the rest of my swatch–the rest of my ONE colour swatch–was still off, I opted to go one full needle size down. Afterall, I wasn’t going to be working with any fair isle till much later. Stripes are stripes. Each stripe should still follow the grey–or so I thought. Stripes in each of the colours should have been in my swatch for me to get an accurate measure of gauge.
When I took the tape measure to my work (pictured above), the sizing was wrong (as in it was off by quite a few inches). It makes me cringe even now, but I frogged! Ripped back to nothing and started again from scratch. A week’s work down the drain!
Thankfully I’m persistent. At least I’m past where I was when I decided to rip back. And I’m carefully monitoring my tension and measuring every few rows.
Here’s hoping I can stay on track.